Monday, July 15, 2013

Starting Out - Part III

I wasn't going to have a Part III for the starting out series of posts, but then I remembered something earlier today.  A while back, I discovered that all the civs and booster packs you own, you actually own them across all servers, and you can play them from the start at each server.   I suddenly recalled that I had started a Greek civ on the Athens server a while back, and had forgotten all about it.


Now this is good news, because it allows me to re-visit a few things, re-live some old times, but more importantly, have a bit more up-to-date hands on exposure to stuff which otherwise, I hadn't seen for a while.

And I have to say to you - it's a lot of fun starting all over and re-acquainting myself with some of these very early quests.

So I have gone back to the very start, and that has inspired me to write one more starting out post, while I aged up from Level 4 to Level 6.

To start off with, here is my very plain, bare, empty Greek city at level 6:

Open the book to find out more!


The Village Elder gives a lot of the early quests in the Greek civ, standing in front of the Palace.  The Port Master begins as a quest giver in Level 6 with Fishing Our Waters.

These are the quests the Village Elder had for me at Level 5:

One other quest giver makes a brief appearance around this time, and that's the City Amabassador, who invites you to visit a friend's city, and from there, you are able to do the quest:  Neighbor Favor.
This particular quest is available to each of the civs around this level, but you need to have a friend on your friend's list to visit before you can do this quest, that is, a friend on the same server.

Being relatively new to Athens, I had no friends on this server, so I left a message saying precisely that - and two guys responded within seconds inviting me as friends, and I was then able to do the quest.

I mention that because I encourage all new players to take a similar approach, get out there, let people know you're new to the game, and people will try and help you out.

One bit of advice about this quest:  Neighbor Favor (it's very hard for an aussie to use that spelling).  It's a relatively easy quest, but by the same token, it's a bit of pot luck as to what range of troops you start with.  And some mixes are better than others.  Here are some examples:
Mix of spearmen, priests and one elephant
Mix of axemen, archers, a few priests and one boat..
Mix of chariots, cavalry, priests and one catapult trireme.

Mix of axemen, hyps and priestesses of Ra - the latter aren't very useful in this quest
Other times you'll also get rams, which are only good for bashing down the gate impeding your way and for attacking the guard towers - but the gate and  guard towers only appear when you get the rams - with the mixes I mention above, the gate and guard towers don't make an appearance.

My experience is that when you get the rams, it's very hard to complete this quest.  If it happens to you, don't sweat it, just restart and see what you get the next time.


When you defeat the first lot of invaders, another lot will come in 60 seconds.  If you have ranged units and priests, and other military units, I like to jam them in between two buildings, as seen below, where they are able to hold out against a larger force.

Around this level, the Village Elder also gives you the blueprints to the Crafting Hall and the Recipe Store.

Ahh...the memories....it's all coming back now.


Brawny Polecat


No comments:

Post a Comment