Friday, July 26, 2013

Fishing Our Waters

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had started doing the Greek quests from scratch on another server.  Every now and then I'll pull up one of those early Greek quests for a bit of a look.

The quest Fishing Our Waters can be found with the Port Master around level 6.

I was curious when this quest came up because a few weeks earlier, on the official AoEO forum, a poster mentioned that he had had trouble completing it because he ran out of enemy fishing boats to destroy.  This didn't happen to me.

The Port Master is the quest giver for Fishing Our Waters
Open the book to find out more!


Start Game

In this quest, you start on a smallish island, and you are required to destroy 15 enemy fishing boats and their two docks to complete the quest.  Enemy triremes are scattered across the water to add that extra challenge.
Early game

As usual, you start off by quickly building up your economy and aging up.

This is a good time to remind new players of the most common error they are likely to make:

  1. not producing enough villies; and
  2. not using storehouses.
Both of these are false economies.  Look at both as investments to shore up your middle and end game.  Invest early. From the very start, have villies queued up at all times.  Use storehouses at all times (unless you build a new town centre alongside a resource).

In the picture above, it's exactly 3 minutes in, and I already have 14 villies collecting food and wood, and I have three queued which will go directly to the gold you see at the bottom the screen.  I have already built my dock, two fishing boats out, and within a minute or so I will build a second dock.

Aim to have a minimum of two docks, but you can easily aim for three or more.

Middle Game

Once you have your two docks, it becomes a matter of piling up the ships.  In this example, I've stayed level II, and will just start accumulating triremes.

As soon as you get three ships together, start marauding.
The enemy triremes are scattered and stand alone, so with 3 vs 1 trireme, it's not a contest.  As you go marauding, looking for fishing boats, and taking care of enemy triremes, keep producing and adding to your stocks - before soon - nothing can stand in your way.

End Game

With the 15 fishing boats destroyed, a handy fleet built up, I make a bee line for the enemy island and go directly for the docks.  If there's a guard tower in the way, destroy it first, with a fleet of 6+ ships, all guard towers are history.

My fleet heads towards dock no. 1
Remember what I said about investing in villies and storehouses early on?  Take a look at the screen shot above, the resources I've collected.  If, by chance, a large enemy fleet and/or army were about to appear, I could quickly build 20 ships if need be.  Invest early, relax at the end.  My gear hall score is only 3, I have no special gear or advisers, so that was done through just getting the fundamentals right.

Now an interesting thing happened just before I took the above screenshot, I went from level 6 to level 7 mid game.  This meant that all of a sudden I was able to go to Age III, and I was allowed to build fireships, which I did from this point - I didn't need a special invite.

If you have fireships available to you for this quest, then run with them, you'll finish even quicker - triremes are no match for fireships.

On this particular map, there were bandits on my island, and two bandits on the enemy island.  Once I completed the quest objectives, I quickly built a small army, mopped up the ones closest to me, and then put the army on a merchant ship to get the chests on the enemy island.

I've known new players to ignore the bandits - do not ignore them - for just a few minutes more effort, you never know what you might pick up, especially when you have so many empty slots in your gear hall early in your AoEO questing.

This quest leads to the Portmasters' Children, where you will come across a bit more resistance from the enemy - the same principles apply as you will practice in this quest - be ready to build plenty of ships!

As you reach level 8, you will get access to the Advisor Hall, something new to start playing around with.

Brawny Polecat

No comments:

Post a Comment